I’ve been told that today is International Men’s Day. Remarks:
- Men don’t need International Men’s Day.
- How is it different from any other day?
- I hereby boycott this day and if you’re celebrating it today, you’re a very silly boy.
Please don’t celebrate this blatantly nonsensical and unnecessary day.
… unless you’re willing to try out the following suggestions.
A Proposed Way to Celebrate International Men’s Day
1) The next time a guy physically assaults or catcalls a woman, either in front of you or he tells you, don’t laugh. Don’t snigger. Don’t stay silent. Call him out. And suffer the social consequences.
2) The next time someone makes a rape joke online or in front of you, don’t laugh. Don’t tweet about it. Be silent and then call him out. And suffer the social consequences.
3) The next time you see a woman being verbally assaulted online by a guy, jump in and shut him up. Or at least call him out. And suffer the social consequences.
4) The next time someone makes blatant or veiled sexist jokes or comments about women, don’t join in the har-har. Be silent and then make a call whether you will call him out today or do it later. But do it someday. And suffer the social consequences.
This is only a start and this is by no means the only things men can do. But this is a start, an uncomfortable start, an unpopular start.
If you do any or all of the above, congratulations. You’re celebrating “International Men’s Day”. You know what it’s called? Basic human decency. It could be the tagline for this “day” – “International Men’s Day. Basic human decency!” If you suffer consequences because of any of this, congratulations. You’re celebrating “International Men’s Day”. If there is going to be a day in the year where men do things that other men find objectionable, and then they receive 𝑛𝑜 recognition for it, let it be this day.
Now, celebrate this “day” and don’t tell anyone, especially women, that you did any of the above. Just do it and shut up.
Otherwise, if you want to eat a steak and grab your dingus while you rail about how “women are taking over”, you are in fact truly, madly, deeply sick.
This was posted originally on my Facebook account three days ago.